Excellent communication and negotiation skills with professionals in related fields including marketing communications directors, designers, developers, editors, illustrators, photographers, videographers, vendors and clients.
Haring Center for Research and Training in Inclusive Education
College of Education, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington
March 2014 to June 2017
Graphic Designer. Design and develop websites for the University of Washington’s Haring Center. Ensure that sites adhere to Section 508 standards and maintain sites with current content. Provide additional graphic design support as a member of the Communications Team.
- Design, development and maintenance of project websites, including Haring Center, Project DATA and Jump: A Haring Center Experience. Additional marketing experience using social media and MailChimp.
- Project iBESTT – Graphic design work for an educational research project at the University of Washington. Designed brand identity, created presentation materials, story boarded concepts with team members and created informational graphics and illustrations for use in web-based training and marketing materials.
Carol Tompkins Design, Seattle, Washington
September 1991 to present
Freelance Graphic and Web Designer. Design websites, logos, brochures, advertisements, newsletters, catalogs and signage with additional work in illustration and production. Clients have included Historic Seattle, 4Culture, Pottery Northwest, Seattle Children’s Theatre, The Children’s Museum, American Diabetes Association, Make-A-Wish Foundation and Perkins Coie LLP.
- Historic Seattle and 4Culture – Designed and developed a website to promote Washington Hall, a 100 year old performance center. This website contributed toward winning a $90,000 Preservation Grant from American Express and the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
- American Diabetes Association – Created artwork and signage for the Reach For The Stars Silent Auction, which raised $400,000 for diabetes research.
Puget Sound Educational Service District, Renton, Washington
January 2012 to August 2013
Graphic and Web Designer. Graphic design work including brand design, brochures, newsletters, annual reports, advertising, presentation materials and informational graphics. Web design work involving website design and development, e-Newsletters and email marketing. Additional work in photography and illustration.
YMCA of Greater Seattle (contract position), Seattle, Washington
October 2010 to January 2011
Graphic Designer. Designed and produced marketing materials including print and online advertising, posters, brochures, landing pages, email and web banners promoting the YMCA. Responsibilities included project management, vendor coordination and direct client contact.
- Helped introduce YMCA’s new logo design and branding campaign locally by clarifying brand requirements and developing marketing materials for use in the 12 Seattle area branch offices.
Seattle Art Museum, Seattle, Washington
July 2006 to October 2008
Graphic Designer. Designed, illustrated and produced print and online advertising, posters, brochures, invitations, publications, direct mail, signage, exhibition graphics and web content promoting exhibits and events. Responsibilities included project management, vendor coordination and direct client contact.
- Diwali Ball 2008 – Designed marketing campaign for the first annual Diwali Ball, a fundraising event which exceeded attendance expectations by 12.5%. Design work included web banners, e-vites, posters and postcards. Cost saving measures included digital printing and internet promotion to meet budget expectations of $3000.
- SAMconnects Magazine – Standardized format guidelines for signature publication, fulfilling visitor requests for a user-friendly catalogue while reducing publication costs. This remains SAM’s standard format and saved 15% in printing and postage costs.
Pacific Science Center, Seattle, Washington
May 1997 to October 2005
Graphic Designer. Designed, illustrated and produced brochures, invitations, publications, posters, print advertising, direct mail, signage, exhibition graphics promoting exhibits, educational programs, IMAX® movies and events. Additional work in photography, environmental and exhibit design. Responsibilities included project management, vendor coordination, direct client contact and training student interns.
- TITANIC: The Artifact Exhibit – Lead designer for exhibit that helped generate a record-breaking attendance of 489,000 visitors, to the Pacific Science Center. Designed and produced print collateral and large-scale signage.
- Lead in-house designer on over 20 additional exhibits and events.
Seattle Central Community College, Seattle, Washington
January 2009 to December 2009
Web Design Certificate, President & Dean’s List Student
Ohio University, Athens, Ohio
January 1989 to June 1991
Course work in photography and informational graphics
Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio
Bachelor of Fine Arts in Graphic Design
References and portfolio available upon request.